Well, the Cowboys got Marino'ed this week by Highland Park native son Matt Stafford. Outside of the bitter defeat, which by this point I am used to as a long-suffering Cowboys fan, this game was notable for several reasons.
- Megatron is not just the best receiver of this generation, but rapidly entering the discussion of GOAT at the position - at least since Jerry Rice. I've never seen a more dominant receiving force. Maybe Randy Moss at times, but Calvin Johnson is a more complete player than Moss and doesn't take plays off. He's almost like a combination of TO and Moss and this game was a perfect example. He had a very TO-like quick slant catch that he immediately took 80+ yards and then followed it up with a ridiculous deep ball catch in double coverage ala Randy. Just insane.
- The Lions, however, are wasting Johnson much like they wasted Barry Sanders. The organization is just cursed.
- It's interesting to note that the Raiders passed on Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson. Ouch.
- Speaking of the Raiders, Terrell Pryor had the longest TD run by the a QB in NFL history in a win vs the Steelers yesterday. It's also the longest run in Raider franchise history. Pretty impressive stuff from the young QB.
- Stafford did his best impression of the Dan Marino fake spike and jumped into the end zone with like 10 seconds left. Dez Bryant freaked out in a scene reminiscent of, you guessed it, TO. See how we come full circle?
- The NFL is just so rife with parity these days that I don't know what to make of the Cowboys. They are what they are - probably 9-7 at best. Who knows.